Sunday 19 May 2013 -
A well-deserved renaissance.
Not far from Rue Antoine-Dansaert, Les Halles Saint-Géry was built in 1881 in order to house the city meat market. The complex was designed by architect A Vanderheggen, in Flemish neo-renaissance style. Reconstructed in red brick and iron, the doorways are decorated with images of geese, chickens, fish, and cascading fruits and flowers. The cornice holds cast iron figures representing water (a river in the shape of a man with flowing beard), the earth (a woman with a globe), agriculture (a land labourer with plough) and the vegetable gardener. The Rue Gréty is decorated by figures of small groups of children who represent hunting and fishing. The marketplace was abandoned after WWII and finally closed its doors in February 28, 1977.
Ten years later, renovated and classified by the Brussels regional council as an example of architecture and covered marketplaces, Saint-Géry reopened. Today it is a space that hosts several restaurants and shops. Since April 1999 an information and exhibition centre dedicated to Belgian culture can also be found there. Saint-Géry is a popular meeting place for young people in Brussels and is one of the liveliest areas of the city.
Shops, boutiques and malls